Position: Bookkeeper Status: Full-Time
The Bookkeeper works in the financial areas of one or more Diocesan parishes by performing various accounting and reporting functions. The Bookkeeper is involved in all aspects of the day-to-day accounting functions (A/R, A/P and general ledger) of the organization; and will be actively involved in the month end closing process.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
• High school diploma or equivalent; Associate degree preferred.
• Three to five years of solid bookkeeping experience.
• Bookkeeping classes from accredited education facilities.
Skills & Abilities
• Attention to detail.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to multi-task.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Proficient in MS Office, with strong Excel skills.
• Knowledge of Sage and Paycor Systems.
• Able to work well in a team environment.
- Duties and Responsibilities:
“Embrace the mission and vision of the Catholic Diocese of Lake Charles and work in accordance with Catholic Social Teachings and the moral and ethical values of the Catholic Church.”
1. Bookkeeping areas:
o Enter deposits into proper accounts in the bookkeeping system.
o Process and prepare checks for accounts payable.
o May process payroll, including withholding requirements and report.
o Create appropriate reports as requested by professional staff or finance council.
o Administer/monitor special fund raising, including Bishop Services Appeal, special collections, other club/organization activity.
2. Banking areas
o With proper separation of duties taken into account, involved in depositing parish funds, or reconciling deposit slips to money counter sheets.
3. Budget areas:
o Enter approved budgetary figures for each account.
o Communicate budget overruns to appropriate persons.
o Create reports on budgeting as needed for professional staff or Finance Council.
The following are representative of the physical capabilities that must be met by an employee and the working conditions that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Ability to push, pull, lift, and carry items up to 20 pounds.
* While performing duties of this job, employee is required to sit, talk, hear, grasp, reach and perform repetitive motions of the fingers, hands, and wrists.
* May be called upon to perform work/attend meetings at times other than noted below, when necessary, which may require some travel within the Diocese.
Typical Working Conditions:
Work is performed in an office environment. Normal work hours vary based on parish needs and schedules but will be limited to the hours of 7:00 AM and 5:30 PM. The ultimate schedule will be determined by the Diocesan Comptroller.
Nature of Supervision Received:
Work is performed under the direct supervision of the Diocesan Staff Accountants. Position requires the ability to work independently, to accomplish specific tasks assigned and to meet various deadlines.
Judgment Exercised/Decisions Made:
Decisions are routine in nature with individual judgments occurring during troubleshooting. Recommends procedural improvements for performing duties in the most efficient and effective manner. Must maintain confidentiality at all times.
Responsible for effective use of time and budgeted resources. Significant financial loss can occur if proper accounting procedures are not followed.
Supervision Exercised/Number of Employees Supervised: None/None.