MOSS BLUFF — His Excellency, the Most Reverend Glen John Provost, Bishop of Lake Charles, was the celebrant and homilist for the 15th annual Clergy and Religious Recognition Celebration on Thursday, September 9, at Camp Karol. The Mass took place on the Feast of St. Peter Claver, patron saint for the Diocese of Lake Charles, followed by a luncheon for the honorees.
The event is coordinated by the Serra Club of Lake Charles and supported by the Knights of Columbus Assemblies and Councils; Knights of Peter Claver Assemblies, Chapters, and Courts; Catholic Daughters of the Americas Courts, Christian Mothers, and parish Altar Societies. Other benefactors of time, talent, and/or treasures are Bob and Brenda McCall, and Christopher and Pamela Menou.
For a combined 825 years of service to the Catholic Church, this year’s honorees included a total of 13 priests, 10 deacons, and 6 religious sisters. The following were recognized for significant anniversaries:
- 60 years — Rev. Lawrence Kohler, M.S.
- 55 years — Sister Gerard Earls, CCVI and Sister Claire Pellerin, S.E.
- 50 years — Rev. Marshall Boulet and Rev. Roland Vaughn
- 45 years — Rev. Monsignor Harry D. Greig, Deacon Fred Reed, and Sister Mary Charles Chiduolue, D.M.M.M.
- 40 years — Rev. Albert Borel and Sister Maria Regina Osundu, D.M.M.M.
- 30 years — Very Rev. Edward Richard, M.S. and Rev. William Miller
- 25 years — Rev. Monsignor Daniel Torres and Rev. Richard Adiukwu
- 20 years — Rev. John Payne, Very Rev. Anthony Fontenot, Deacon Joseph Bushnell, Deacon Wayne Chapman, Deacon Dale Deshotel, Deacon Patrick Lapoint, Deacon Ray Menard, Deacon Roy Nash, and Deacon Michael Tramel
- 10 years — Rev. Jom Joseph, HGN, Rev. Jeffrey Starkovich, Deacon Paul Gregory, and Sister Mary Benedicta Maier, RSM
- 5 years — Deacon Brian Kirk and Sister Kim Xuan Nguyen, CCVI
The welcome and acknowledgments at the luncheon were given by Col. John Halloran, Serra Club president. Monsignor Daniel Torres, past Serra Club chaplain, gave the invocation and blessing of the meal; and closing remarks and benediction were given by Bishop Provost.